The refit of the Alienware Area 51 – 7500 from 2007 to a Skylake Processor and Windows 10 is complete. The system died trying to do the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, and while I spent two days frantically trying to bring it back to life with Linux Mint 18, I finally declared it End of Life and ordered the replacement parts. Here is the original configuration.
The new system has:
- Core i7 6700K Skylake Processor
- ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger Motherboard
- 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3400 memory
- Samsung 850 EVO SSD – 500GB
- Western Digital 1TB HD – Temporary. Once system is installed, the two HD from my current main system will be swapped in. These are a 2TB data and 4TB video capture disk.
- LG OEM BluRay burner
- Corsair H75 Water Cooler