Open Office iCal Importer

I have started using Google calendar and now I want to analyze the events that I’m saving. Google provides a calendar, but no tools to analyze the events on a calendar. Also they only provide iCal format export of the calendar and no way to move the calendar to Google Docs. An iCal importer for Open Office Calc would have the widest appeal and widest platform support. I have written a simple importer for Open Office 3.1.1. I have not tested it on other versions of OO. You can download it here: iCal_Import_04 The download link it as the top of the page. Wave your cursor at the top of the page to see the V symbol for the download link. Enjoy. BTW, WordPress.com does not allow posting of any zip files so I had to move the file to google drive.

After an Import

Continue reading “Open Office iCal Importer”

2Moons – Management Database

Managing a stable of characters in an RPG is a complicated process. My limited experience with MMORPGs indicates that it can be more efficient to build more than one character at a time. At least it is more interesting. In the two MMORPGs that I’ve tried I’ve built several characters to try to learn more about the game and the character classes. In 2Moons I’m currently running six characters. This is efficient since as they level up all the interesting loot is saved for the other characters and one higher level character can finance a lower level character’s purchase of expensive items.

But, the downside of doing this is you have to keep track of all the loot that each character has and what they need. In Guild Wars this was easy because there is an account-wide storage facility where all the loot is kept. But with 2Moons, each character has a separate stash, or storage locker, so you have to remember what’s in each one to avoid wasting time with items that you already have collected.

Continue reading “2Moons – Management Database”

OpenOffice Base 2.4 – Report Problem

OpenOffice Base 2.4 running on Vista Ultimate [x86 or x64].

Dynamic reports fail with the data not matching the column headers. Static reports work.

Update: This is a known problem. The problem is that the name TITLE doesn’t work as a report column. This means that no column of a database table can be named TITLE if dynamic tables are used.

Continue reading “OpenOffice Base 2.4 – Report Problem”

MySQL Unable to Restore

When building a database of my DVD collection which includes BLOB images of png images of the covers, the database can be backed up, but it cannot be restored. This of course makes the backups useless. The images are 475×475 pixel PNG images.

UPDATE: Problem solved. Parameter max_allowed_packet is the packet size for requests. This defaults to 1M and needs to be larger to allow this restore to work. Setting the max_allowed_packet parameter to 10M allowed the restore to complete successfully.
Continue reading “MySQL Unable to Restore”