Modern components make it easy and inexpensive to build a mini-desktop system. This case looks more like a somewhat large DVD player than a computer but it is a very high quality – completely steel – case made for home theater systems. I’ve put together a configuration for a modern desktop using this case. The total price is less than $600 including a monitor, wireless keyboard/ mouse and about $450 without a monitor, kb/mouse.
The Website Building Problem
As a consultant, I am continually looking for modern tools to help my clients build websites. Recently several web site builders have appeared that combine Hosting and Website construction in a single place and for a single small fee.
In the past few years I have come across more and more clients who have been held hostage to the old way of doing websites. The old way uses off-line tools like FrontPage, DreamWeaver or other tools that run on a desktop computer and then upload the website pages to the hosting service. Clients run into several problems when these tools are used.
- These off-line site building tools are expensive [ several hundred dollars], require special training and must be upgraded over time.
- Often the clients can’t find the person who built their site, or it costs too much or that person has lost vita information about the site because it has been months or years since they made any changes.
- The hosting service may be going out of business or changing it’s terms and so the site expert needs to be contacted to move the site to a new hosting service. The client may not have the credentials or expertise to sign into the site to back it up to migrate to another hosting service.
Modern sites utilize a CMS or Content Management System. There are many out there, but only in the past couple of years have they started to appear that work for the novice user. A CMS separates the “content” of the site from its “Look”. The text and pictures are stored separately from the “Theme” which directs how the page is laid out on the browser page. Also sites using CMS’s are not built on your local computer and then uploaded. Rather they are built on the site itself, using the browser and software running on the site. So there are no expensive and separate tools to buy or learn to use.
I’m working on a wordpress theme for a wood carver. Here’s a thumbnail to show the approach I’m taking.
I built this graphic using 3dsmax using splines and bevels and then lit it with two lights one at top left and a dimmer one on bottom left.
The whole graphic shows the header surround, the sidebar top and bottom background and the footer pieces. The high res graphic will be cut into chunks for backgrounds for the various parts of the theme.
Outsource Your Web Service and Support to Oregon
Costs are high in major metro areas of the US, but here on the South Coast of Oregon, living is easier and the rates are much cheaper. Perhaps you should consider outsourcing building and maintaining a state of the art website to Oregon.
We specialize in building websites based on php / MySql platforms such as WordPress, Coppermine and SimpleMachines Forums. We also have experience with Joomla, PostNuke and other environments.
We can build your personal or small business website, customize your website to use your business logos or design a look just for you. If you want to sell directly from your website, we can hook you into Paypal with a simple point and click for a small number of items, or set up a shopping basket in a high performance hosting site.
Here are some examples of small business websites that we have done:
This site is built and maintained with WordPress and a custom theme.
Our Coppermine Photo gallery shows how scalable and flexible a personal or professional photo gallery can be.
SMF is a state of the art, php / MySQL based forum for discussions or software support.
We are not limited to these tools and environments. Our centers of expertise are any php / MySQL based website, and many hoster based Point of Sale environments.
Our rates vary from as low as $40 / hour.
Contact us to discuss your requirements and how we can help: Email or phone (541) 888 4262
Computer Frustrations? Call Windy Weather to help with software or hardware problems, buy an upgrade, or eliminate spyware, adware or viruses.
We will help you upgrade your software or your hardware. Advise you about applications to solve your problems, or keep things running smoothly.
- Hard drive or memory on that two year old computer too small?
- Need a new Video Card to play that new video game?
- Want to upgrade to Windows XP? But it seems two daunting a task to approach alone?
- Adware, Spyware slowing you down and clogging you up? We can help you eliminate it and keep it out.
- Time to buy a new computer, but it seems to complicated to deal with all the options?
- Need a secure wireless network for your home or business, but all the options and security issues seem too complex.
- Need a website that shows your business or personal identity, and can be easily maintained without detailed knowledge of the web?
Whatever your problem, we can help. Darrell has been a computer professional for over 30 years, and he has kept up with the times and the technology. If it says Windows, he can help with your problems.
Darrell also has years of experience with digital video and digital photography. As an accomplished photographer, he can take that special picture of you water skiing or surfing. Or he can work on the photo that you have to clean it up and turn it into a masterpiece, or just make it so you will want a print. Darrell has converted home movies to DVDs. From film or video tape, preserve those memories, or add your narration and make a special gift for your children.
Serving Coos Bay and the South Coast of Oregon.
(541) 888 4262