I’ve found a private server that provides the Warlords of Draenor patch of Wow. That’s where I am now. These Private Server folks provide choices of patch levels – Wrath of the Lich King, Mists of Pandaria, Warlords and Legion. I chose WoD for two reasons.
- I love the zone design of the areas of WoD. Garrisons are neat, but I never got into the whole “Missions” thing. But having a pet buddy along on your questing can be cool. We’ll see if those functions are implemented when I get there.
- The Legion patch level is 7.3.5, which wiki’s indicate implements world wide level scaling, which I am definitely not a fan of. I may give it a try later, but for now I’m good with WoD.
There are some other neat features in this server:
- It’s 5X for XP and drops, which makes up for the fact that many of the quests don’t work, and many of the mobs are missing too. There seem to be extra “World Bosses” roaming about, but they aren’t especially hard to kill and don’t give especially great loot either.
- Ground Mounts can be ridden by either faction, although this is apparently not true for flying mounts. I think gnomes look adorable on a goblin trike, don’t you? I prefer the Tiger mounts on the ground since they are quiet and less jarring on the camera.
- Unfortunately, unlike the previous server I was playing on, the Rep and Profession gain are still 1X, so it’s not that easy to get going with the factions and professions. But at least with 5x drops, it doesn’t take that long to gather what you need to get your professions leveled up. If you want the race mounts you need to just level a character of that race to level 20 or 40 and buy the mount. You are limited to 12 characters per account, but you can have as many accounts as you like, apparently. I didn’t see anything in the terms of service about a limit of accounts per IP address.
Level 100 Boost
There was an odd, one-off event that I tripped over. NPCs appeared in major cities and starting areas offering a free Boost to 100, apparently restricted to one per account. I was able to take advantage of this, before it disappeared. I asked in-world about what was up and the unverified answer was that the server folks tried it out and that there were bugs. Maybe it’s being debugged for a store offering. Well I have a 100 Warlock, which comes in really handy to farm gold and 80 level gear for my other toons.
Flight in Draenor
Another store offering is “Flying in Draenor”, which costs about $20 and of course is Account Wide. The achievements to allow you to work for this in game don’t all work, but this seems like a very reasonable way to support the server, so I plan to get it when more of my toons are ready to get into Draenor.
The other thing I’ve discovered is that the Temple of the Jade Serpent is apparently set up as a quick Gold Farm. I’ve played this dungeon in Retail and I don’t recall that the minions of Doubt drop 50 Gold each and respawn three times if you just wait on them. Also the Bosses all drop 50 G each. So a quick run of the three bosses and minions in the center of the temple gets you almost 600 Gold, which is not bad for about 10 minutes work and you can spam that 10 times per hour if you like, apparently.
There may be other modified dungeons in the game that are gold farms too, but I haven’t found them yet.
I won’t name the private server here or provide a link, but I’m sure you can find it if you a little googling. Oh, that’s a verb now apparently.