There has been much bad-mouthing of Vista in the press… A continuous low hum in the blogs and podcasts that Vista is terrible. With no data and no references. Well here is some data. A list of products that work just fine on Vista.
Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in Microsoft or any of these other companies. I have been a software engineer for 35 years in many areas and have used PCs, Macs and Linux. I may not be an expert in everything, but as you can see from the list of products below, my experience is broad.
Here is the system that I have: Alienware Area-51 7500.
In alphabetical order (x86) programs first:
- Absolute FTP – an old GUI FTP program. Works just fine after all these years.
- Acclaim 2Moons RPG – needs a compatibility setting.
- Adobe Audition 1.0
- adobe Photoshop 6.0
- Adobe Lightroom 1.3
- Adobe Reader 8.1.x – except that document is not resized if the window is resized.
- Alias Motion Builder PLE7
- APC Powerchute Business Edition – to support my Smart UPS 1500 – power can be flakey in Coos Bay, OR.
- Apple Quicktime.
- Autodesk 3ds max 9 – 32bit version. 64bit version must run in admin or with account control turned off which I’m not willing to do. Max reverts to basic behaviour of the Vista GUI.
- AVS Media Video Tools
- Deneba Canvas 9 drawing tool
- DocuDesk DeskPDF converter
- eFrontier Poser 7
- Electronic Arts Crysis SP Demo
- Goldwave Sound Editor V 5.14
- Grisoft AVG Virus Free Edition
- Irfan View image editor
- KeePass Password Safe – Opensource and free
- Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
- Mozilla Firefox – my preferred browser of course.
- MySQL database and tools 5.0
- Nero 8 Ultra – 7 is just fine too. Including Nero burner and movie editing.
- Open Office 2.2
- Pamela Skype plugin for recording
- PTGui panorama stitcher 5.8.4
- RipCast 1.9 – audio stream ripper
- Second Life and Second Life Windlight – These programs are the only programs that crash the system frequently. A Second Life issue and not NVidia or Vista issue I’m sure.
- SQLyog Community version
- Virtual CD V9
- WinAmp with Shoutcast plugin
- XenoDream 16 Fractal generator
And now for the 64 bit native programs:
- Autodesk Max 9 – but only in admin mode or with Account Control disabled. This is because the license control code requires it, not because Max requires it. They need a new x64 license control manager.
- Casper 4.0 drive backup
- MySQL Server 5.0
It may be too strong to say I’m a big Vista ultimate x64 Fan – is there anything but Ultimate with x64? – but almost all the things I need work fine and the system is very stable.